Winner Announcement of Children's Face Covering Design Challenge
Event date: November 2, 2020, 6:30pm to 7:30pm
Registration link: https://winneroffacecovering.eventbrite.ca
Note: This event is online and is to announce the winners of our contestants.
COVID 19 has taught us face coverings are essential in the fight against the spread of pandemic level viruses. It has also shown how dependent we are on supply chains outside of Ontario. With this design challenge, we are asking participants to leverage local manufacturing capabilities to design a product that is both cost-effective and functional under the slogan “Designed and Made in Ontario”. Furthermore, we challenge our participants to improve the current face-covering designs to specifically cater to the needs of our children during Ontario’s back to the business journey.
The challenge is for a team of up to 5 persons to design a non-medical grade face covering for children between the ages of 3-14 with a manufacturing cost under $5.00/covering assuming a minimum batch size of 1,000 pieces. The first-place winner of this challenge will be awarded a $1,000 cheque from our sponsors with guaranteed orders that will be placed directly valued at $2,000 for a donation of face coverings to local hospitals and childcare centers.
1. Six (6) face-covering prototypes will be sent to PEO York head office (for judging by each of the 6 judges)
2. Supporting video presentation (3 min max) showcasing
a. Design features and unique features added
b. Design for manufacture justification and cost breakdown
c. Benchmark comparisons
d. Any additional info to address the 6 categories in the judging criteria
3. Supporting documents including but not limited to:
a. Supplier quotations
b. Engineering drawings
1. Product performance
2. Aesthetic design
3. Social and environmental impact
4. Production cost in Ontario
5. Solution uniqueness
1. Rakesh Shreewastav, P.Eng., VMA, FEC - Rakesh is Vice-Chair of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) Award Committee and also a member of the Engineers Canada Award committee. Previously, he served as a member of the PEO Council and board of Engineers Canada.
2. Dr. Elaine Ng is a pediatric anesthesiologist at the Hospital for Sick Children and an Associate Professor in the Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine at the University of Toronto.
3. Dr. Sasha Litwin is a staff physician in pediatric emergency medicine at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto. She holds a Fellowship in Design and Innovation from the Hospital for Sick Children/the University of Toronto, a Masters of Design for Health from the Ontario College of Art and Design University (OCAD U), and is a Lecturer at the University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine. She led the creation of the first Design course at a Canadian medical school in 2019.
4. Emily Vender has worked on countless projects in the Industrial Engineering field - from lighting and furniture, to assistive devices and tools for education. A naturally curious person, she is passionate about learning how things are made and about the people who make them. User experience in product design is paramount to Emily and remains a key focus of her work when developing designs. She graduated from the Ontario College of Art and Design in 2012, receiving a Bachelor of Design degree.
5. Annabelle Lee, P. Eng. FEC: Annabelle is the Chair of the PEO York Chapter.
6. Billy Pang is a first-generation Canadian, originally from Hong Kong. Prior to becoming the Member of Provincial Parliament in 2018 for Markham—Unionville, Mr. Pang was a York Region District School Board Trustee; where he was elected in 2014 to represent parents and students in the Markham area in Wards 2, 3 and 6. Since 2019 he has been also appointed as Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Heritage, Sport, Tourism, and Culture Industries (Tourism). His community involvement spans even further than his political experience as he has served the Markham community as a volunteer for various humanitarian organizations and schools in the city.
Themes: Engineering, creativity, entrepreneur
Keywords: Engineering, design, contest
This event is made possible thanks to our sponsors.
Vera Zhang, EIT
Communications Director – PEO York Chapter