PEO York Chapter Women in Engineering Presents
Overcoming Gender Issues to Empower Your Engineering Career
Tuesday June 14th, 2016 - 7:30pm
Location: Markham Convergence Centre, 7271 Warden Ave., Markham, Ontario
Fee: $15/pp includes refreshments
Join us for a discussion of the unconscious male gender bias embedded in engineering and technology: what it is; the unintended consequences on women’s careers and what women engineers can do to empower their career.
What You Need To Know
• The origin of male gender bias and how it affects human behavior
• The impact of gender on society and organizations
• The types of conflict women professionals experience as a result of embedded male gender bias
• The role of male gender bias in the industry of engineering and technology
• Learn to recognize obstacles in your career progress that your male colleagues will not experience
• Gain more confidence in your ability and suitability for your chosen career
• Develop the tools to engage your workplace in meaningful gender initiatives
• Build strategies for more effective networking
Our presenter, Sharon Barney is a sought after speaker and advocate for gender equity in construction and engineering. She holds an MBA from the University of Windsor, Ontario. In her studies, she investigated the first wave of women in higher education and documented that women were not choosing high paying careers in traditionally male dominated fields. Upon graduation, she accepted a management position in the construction industry where she held senior positions for over twenty years. She has also held senior advocacy positions for gender equity in construction. She offers consulting on issues of gender, work and organizations in construction and engineering. She currently volunteers for IEEE WIE Toronto Section as the Lead, Chapter Public Relations and for the Canadian Association of Women in Construction as a Director.
Men are absolutely welcome to attend!
The price of the event is $15 per person and light refreshments will be provided.
Friends are welcome and networking encouraged!
Cathy Zheng, P.Eng.
WIE Lead – PEO York Chapter