OSPE - PEO York Chapter Joint Event
Productive Use of Nuclear Spent Fuel
Tuesday, September 8th, 2015 at 7:30pm
Location:Yummy Grill Restaurant, 531 Atkinson Ave, Thornhill, Ontario (New Venue)
Fee: $15 per person, buy any drink and the chapter will buy you a food item from the new selection.
The one hour presentation discusses how we can burn our used fuel waste in a fast neutron reactor to make energy. It is followed by a question and answer period and will provide information from OSPE’s energy advocacy studies, including:
- The CANDU and PWR (open) fuel cycles in Canada and USA
- Spent fuel properties of current CANDU and PWR reactors
- Usable components of used fuel and how they can be extracted
- The difference between thermal and fast neutron reactors
- Difference between thorium and uranium fast neutron reactors
- Reducing life time and radio-toxicity of used fuel
- Advantages of reprocessing used fuel to generate energy
Our esteemed presenter is Paul M. Acchione, M. Eng., P. Eng. Paul has a BASc and M.Eng. degrees in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Toronto. Paul is a licensed professional engineer in Ontario and is a member of ASME, ANS, IEEE and ISA. Paul has over 43 years of engineering and management experience in the power generation industry. He worked for 31 years with Ontario Power Generation (OPG) and its predecessor companies.
He is now a Management Consultant at Market Intelligence and Data Analysis Corporation. Paul was the 2013-14 President and Chair of the Ontario Society of Professional Engineers (OSPE) and is currently its 2014-15 Past Chair and Past CEO.
Yummy Grill Restaurant is located at 531 Atkinson Ave, Thornhill which is adjacent to Bathurst Street, 2km south of the 407 ETR. Plenty of free parking available. Friends and family are also welcome. Networking encouraged!
For other York Chapter events, please go to www.peoyork.com
For more information, please contact:
Rick Vender, P.Eng.,