McMaster Nuclear Reactor Tour
Friday June 12th, 2015 - Time 1:30-3:30pm
Location: McMaster University, 1280 Main Street West, Building 15, Hamilton, ON
Fee: $5.00 plus an Eventbrite fee
Registration: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/mcmaster-nuclear-reactor-tour-tickets-16900970257 (Only 30 Spots, Register Early!)
The McMaster Nuclear Reactor is an open-pool type Materials Test Reactor (MTR) with a core of low enriched uranium (LEU) fuel that is moderated and cooled by light water. Primary and secondary cooling systems act to remove the heat that is generated in the core of the reactor, with external cooling towers acting as the ultimate thermal sink. The reactor is housed within a concrete containment building and generally operates weekdays from 8 a.m. until 12 midnight at a thermal power of 3 MW.
The McMaster Nuclear Reactor (MNR) first became operational in 1959 and was the first university-based research reactor in the British Commonwealth. Originally designed to operate at a maximum power of 1 MW, MNR was upgraded during the 1970s to its current rating of 5 MW with a maximum thermal neutron flux of 1 x 1014 neutrons/cm2.s. MNR is classified as a medium flux reactor and it is by far the most powerful research reactor at a Canadian university – the handful of so-called "Slowpoke" reactors at other institutions typically operate at a power of 0.02 MW.
- The tour is open to those 11 years and older and those under 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- Each participant must present government-issued photo identification (driver's license, photo health card, passport, etc.) prior to embarking on the tour.
- All participants must wear closed-toe low-heeled shoes and long pants (no sandals, high-heeled shoes, shorts or skirts).
- Participants' cell phones, cameras, backpacks etc. must be left in the reception office.
- All tours require that a visitor information card be filled out; tour cards can be filled out in advance and are available at http://mnr.mcmaster.ca/images/stories/documents/Reactor_Visitor_Info_Card.pdf
For security reasons, please register each attendee separately using their actual name.
For more information, please contact:
Rick Vender, P.Eng.,