2020 PEO York Chapter
Engineering Project of the Year Award
PEO York Chapter is the largest chapter of Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO), with over 10,000 members in York Region and accounting for 10% of PEO's membership! With such a large engineering presence in the community, the Engineering Project of the Year Award acts as York Chapter's platform to build new, or deepen existing, relationships with high-tech companies and related businesses in the region, and ultimately highlight the engineering profession in our community!
The awards gala for the 2020 competition will be held in March at a business venue in York Region; the winner and runner-up of each category will be invited to attend the gala. The winner from each category will also receive the coveted honour of delivering a presentation on their successful project as part of the evening’s address, with the option to present video or other multimedia demonstrations showcasing the organization, the project team, and its engineering achievements.
For engineering projects, please read further on this page for the Engineering Project of the Year Award details.
For engineering research projects, please click here for the details of the Engineering Research Project of the Year Award. Any given project can only apply to one of the two awards in one given year.
The objective of this competition is to recognize the contribution, both to the engineering profession and to the local community, by an organization that has undertaken or completed an outstanding project of a technical nature within the past year.
The benefits of participating in this competition are significant for both the Applicants and the engineering profession in York Chapter. These include, but are not limited to:
Competition Description and Deadlines (Top)
Phase I: Abstract Submissions
Phase II: Preliminary Evaluation
Finalists will be selected by the Engineering Project of the Year Award Committee and will be notified by Friday, February 12, 2021. The selections will be made based on the strength of each application in its ability to satisfy the evaluation criteria.
Phase III: Preparation of Final Submission
The top finalists from each category will each prepare and deliver a short presentation that illustrates the project highlights. Further details about the nature of the presentation will be communicated when the finalists are announced.
The presentations will be delivered virtually (via Zoom) to a panel of judges on Saturday, February 27, 2021.
Phase IV: Selection of Engineering Project of the Year Award Winner
Based on an evaluation of the detailed presentations, the winner for each category will be selected and announced at the Awards Gala in March 2020. The committee is monitoring the COVID-19 situation and will determine whether the Awards gala will be held in-person or in a digital format (i.e. on Zoom).
Evaluation Criteria (Top)Project Categorization:
Projects of all types of engineering (discipline) will be considered equally. Projects will be sorted into 1 of 3 project categories (Small, Medium, Large), taking into consideration company size, project team size, and project value. Projects will then be placed into comparison with other projects in that project category. Company size will be determined by the total number of employees in the company's office(s) in the GTA and York Region. The sizing breakdown is as indicated below:
*Note: Applicants will be able to select their company size in the application form. However, PEO York Chapter reserves the right to make changes to the sizing and sizing category. Any change to an applicant's competition category will be communicated within 1 week of the application submission deadline.
All project submissions will be judged for their quality within the following four criteria, which will be weighted as indicated below:
Guiding questions for the criteria are shown within the application form.
Prizes and Honours (Top)
The 1st place winner from each category will be invited to give a 5-minute presentation on their winning project at the Awards Gala.Additionally, each 1st place winner will receive the following prizes and recognitions:
The runner-up in each category will receive the following prizes and recognitions:
Contestant eligibility is determined based on the candidate business successfully satisfying the following conditions:
Q and A
The total number of applicants will not be known prior to the application deadline. All eligible entries will be considered.
Projects selected as finalists may be profiled on the PEO York Chapter website. All finalists will be invited to the awards gala, which is attended by PEO York Chapter members and various dignitaries including PEO council members, OSPE representatives, and local MPs and/or MPPs.
Please review the application form. You will need to disclose enough information to complete the required fields. If selected as a finalist, you will be asked to prepare a presentation with additional detail about your project. Please ensure that any information you provide is internally reviewed and approved for public release. If your project is of a proprietary nature and cannot be described without revealing sensitive information, you may wish not to apply.
There is no application fee. You only need to invest your time for the preparation of the abstract and, if selected, the final presentation.
A product or system demonstration is not a requirement and may not be feasible depending on the nature of the project. However, where appropriate, demonstrations (or prototypes, etc.) are most welcome as part of the final presentation.
- Submission of project details implies express consent to publish any and all information in a public forum. PEO York chapter is not responsible for the safeguarding of information once it has been received. It is suggested that applicant organizations conduct a thorough review of all application materials prior to submission to address any commercial or proprietary issues related to the release of information.
- Contest details and deadlines are subject to change. Modifications to the competition schedule and/or logistics will be posted to this website and/or communicated directly to contest participants.
- The applicant agrees to provide the required information to the PEO York Chapter Awards Committee.
- The applicant hereby authorizes the Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO) York Chapter Association of its sponsors and partners to use, release and retain the applicant(s) name(s), non-financial information, photographs, video recordings, and audio recordings of the applicant(s) in connection with the promotion, administration or evaluation of this award without any compensation to the applicant.
- The applicant is required to submit the information with the attached application form. Only complete application forms will be considered.
- The applicant agrees to promptly disclose any conflicts of interest that may exist. PEO York Chapter reserves the right to resolve the conflicts of interest on a case-by-case basis.
- The Judging Panel may request the applicant to provide further information as necessary.
- The decision of the Judging Panel is final.