Navigating the Retirement Roadmap
Location: London Pub, 9724 Yonge St, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4C 1V8
Fee: $10 plus a small Eventbrite processing fee
Our well known speaker will discuss the following topics for you to consider in the planning of your financial future in your retirement.
- Estimating your income in retirement
- Financial planning – how to budget so you can live well on your retirement income
- What to do with all that free time? Options to keep the mind alive and the spirits up (the "we can't afford to travel all year" segment)
- Learn to invest – an unbiased look at investment principles to empower folks to make the most appropriate investment decisions
- Sources of retirement income – an overall picture of the various sources of retirement income: government, employer, and personal
- Build your budget – budgeting for the various phases of retirement
- Legal check-up – proactive estate and personal planning, disposing of assets, and health decisions in the event of serious illness or death
- Life after benefits – planning for benefit and insurance needs at retirement, taking into account income protection, financial security, and housing
- Transition to retirement – key lifestyle decisions to consider in advance of retirement, including the physical and emotional challenges of transitioning from work to retirement
- Health and vitality for life – physical and cognitive changes, challenges, and rewards of the aging process
- Countdown to retirement – important considerations as retirement nears, including how and when to transfer retirement savings and how to claim government benefits
Our speaker, Peter Drake is vice-president, retirement & economic research, for Fidelity Investments Canada . He has over 35 years of experience as an economist, including working with the economics department of the TD Bank Financial Group, including 11 years as a Vice President of the Bank and Deputy Chief Economist.
He also acts as spokesperson for Fidelity presenting his research across the country and in the media. His work at Fidelity has resulted in being an invited speaker at conferences on retirement organized by the John Deutch Institute at Queen’s University and the Institute for Research on Public Policy. Among his interests in retirement research are the evolution of the Canada Pension Plan, Canada's demographic shift and its many important economic implications, especially for Canadian baby boomers approaching retirement and the current public debate on reforming Canada’s retirement income system.
Friends and family are also welcome. It's Burger Night at the pub; buy a drink and York Chapter will buy you a good burger.
*Note: Please drink responsibly and arrange for a safe ride home
Rick Vender, P.Eng.
Program Director – PEO York Chapter