What is the AMD Engineering Mathletics competition?
AMD Engineering Mathletics is a competition designed to create a passion in the application of mathematics in solving day-to-day scientific and engineering problems. Students will be challenged to be active and creative in the use of mathematics. Different facets of mathematics will be introduced and tested. An electronics audience response system (clicker) will be used for participant to answer a series of questions in both numeric and multiple choices format. Questions will be projected on a screen and the participants will respond using the remote/clickers. Results and answers will also be displayed on a large screen. More details can be found in the Rules and Scoring section below.
During the Mathletics competition, there will also be an AMD Challenge (automatically enrolled) where participant can win additional prizes.
When is the competition?
Saturday, October 27, 2018
Junior competition: 9:30AM - 1PM (registration starts at 9:30 AM)
Senior competition: 2:00PM - 5:30PM (registration starts at 2:00 PM)
Where is the competition?
Sir William Mulock Secondary School
705 Columbus Way, Newmarket, Ontario L3X 2M7
(West of Yonge St. and South of Mulock Dr.)
Audience: AMD Engineering Mathletics 2018 will be conducted in the auditorium. Parents are welcome to stay and watch the students in action, however; no video or photos are allowed during the presentation of the questions.
Who can participate in the competition?
This event is open to all full-time York Region students on a first come first served basis. Students in nearby region cannot participate. Individuals only, this is not a team event.
Registration must be done online ONLY. No registration is allowed at the event. Please bring the online confirmation ticket to the competition.
Registration fee is $15.00 per participant
Registration starts on Saturday Oct 6, 2018 at 8AM ET.
Open to students that are currently in grades 7 and 8 (based on grade 7 curriculum)
Register for Junior competition:
Open to students that are currently in grades 9 or 10 (based on grade 9 curriculum)
Register for Senior competition:
Why participate in the competition?
- Apply your math skills to solve engineering problems
- Meet and greet with engineers and ask them questions about their work
- Have fun and win great prizes
How to prepare for the competition?
Try some Sample Questions.
What should I bring on the day of the competition?
How can I win the competition?
Rules and Scoring
Got a question?
Check the FAQs
Still got more questions?
AMD Engineering Mathletics 2018 Promo Poster
This event is sponsored by Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) Inc.
Students should have their breakfast / lunch before attending the competition. They should bring the following items on the day of competition:
- A printout of the online registration / confirmation ticket
- Scientific calculator
- Scrap paper to do calculation
- Corrective lenses (if required) since questions will be projected onto a screen at the front of the auditorium
Rules and Scoring
- To create a passion in the application of mathematics in solving day-to-day engineering problems.
- To create an interest in active thinking and problem solving.
- To provide practical experience in engineering problem solving.
- To provide an entertaining and friendly competition environment.
Eligibility, Testing Standard and Prizes
- All full time elementary school students from York Region are eligible.
- Questions are based upon the Ontario Curriculum Grades 1-8: Mathematics.
- Questions relate to the application of mathematics to science and engineering.
- Some questions will be based on engineering topics introduced during the competition.
- First, second and third prizes will be awarded in each level.
- Registration will be on first come first served basis.
- There is no limit on number of students from each school.
- Students may participate in only one level of this competition.
- Both Junior and Senior Mathletics Competition levels are individual events.
- Each level of the competition will have two rounds:
- Round 1 - Introductory Round - Warm up questions
- Round 2 - Challenge Round - Fast paced challenging questions
- All participants are required to participate in both rounds.
- Each participant will be provided with a numbered wireless clicker. The clickers must be returned to the designated area at the end of the competition.
- Questions will be projected on a large screen using high lumens advanced projectors.
- The wireless clicker will be used by the participant to enter their answers.
- A computer will record all responses and compile the marks.
- Students are allowed to bring and use aids like calculators, paper, pens, and books. (As a minimum a calculator, scratch pad, and pencil are strongly recommended)
- Cell phones or any device capable of telecommunication are NOT permitted.
- Late comers will not be allowed to join.
- Marks from Round 1 and Round 2 will be added together for the overall score, with a higher weighting for questions in the second round.
- Marks will not be deducted for wrong answers or unanswered questions.
- This competition will be conducted in English only.
- A panel of adjudicators will resolve all disputes. Their decisions are final and binding.
- Teachers, parents, guardians and their guests are welcome to attend the event and cheer the participants. The competition will be held in an auditorium. The guests will be able to witness the whole event and see the participants in action.
- Teachers, parents, guardians and their guests are not permitted to assist or interfere with the participants.
- Space is limited for the audience. Entry is on a first come first served basis.
- Food and drinks are not permitted inside the auditorium.
- A participant without proper online registration prior to the event will not be permitted to participate in the competition.
Q: Can a student from Toronto, Durham, or Peel Region participate in the competition?
No, students must be currently studying at York Region.
Q: How do I register for the competition?
Junior competition (studying Grade 7 or 8 Math) registration: peoyork2018junior-eng-mathletics.eventbrite.com
Senior competition (studying Grade 9 or 10 Math) registration: peoyork2018senior-eng-mathletics.eventbrite.com
Q: Could we receive additional sample questions?
There are 4 sample questions provided for each level and, there is no additional sample questions for this event.