National Engineering Month - Design Challenge 2017
Team standings are listed below:
|2017 NEM Design Challenge Rankings|
|1||Howitt Hawks #2||Charles Howitt Public School|
|2||Howitt Hawks #1||Charles Howitt Public School|
|4||Thunderbolts||Beckett Farm P.S.|
|5||Meadowbrook Public School||Meadowbrook Public School|
|6||TMS AMAZING Engineers||TMS School|
|7||BAPS 1||Beverley Acres PS|
|8||DCPS||Donald Cousens Public School|
|10||Aldergrove Team #1(Phoenix)||Aldergrove Public School|
|11||Romeo Dallaire||Romeo Dallaire P.S.|
|12||Aldergrove Team#2||Aldergrove Public School|
|13||Astronuts Kids Space Club||Astronuts Kids Space Club|
|14||All Stars||Armitage Village|
|16||TMS Engineers||TMS School|
|17||BAPS 2||Beverly Acres PS|
|18||Griffins||Regency Acres P.S.|
|20||Team Stingray||Lake Wilcox PS|
Location: Sir William Mulock SS, 705 Columbus Way, Newmarket, Ontario, L3X 2M7
Date: Wednesday, March 8
Time: 4 - 8pm (Pizza dinner is provided)
Apply science and technology for fun and prizes!
The Professional Engineers Ontario - York Chapter Education Committee is organizing an Engineering Design Challenge for grades 7 and 8 students in York Region.
The Design Challenge: Boating
The focus of this design challenge is for students to design and build a boat, which can be used to transport goods across a stretch of waterway. There are many parameters to a boat design. Students are encouraged to engineer the most efficient design that will compete against other teams’ designs for the most amount of goods that can be transported in a given time. The design requirements, limitations and materials will be provided at the start of the challenge.
Designs will be judged in three categories:
a) Problem Solving and Design
c) Performance Evaluation
Students will plan, build and test their designs on Wednesday, March 8th, 2017 at
Sir William Mulock Secondary School using materials provided by York Chapter Professional Engineers of Ontario.
- 4 students per team.
- 1 teacher/adult representative per team (not contributing to the design process).
- Registration is limited to a maximum of 20 teams from schools within York Region.
To maximize the number of participating schools, we limit registration to 1 team per school and place the additional teams on a waiting list.
- Prizes for the top three teams.
- Each student will receive a National Engineering Month T-shirt and a certificate of participation.
- Entry fee is $80 per team and is payable on-line during registration. PEO is a non-profit organization and all proceeds go towards the students and the event.
- Please read the consent form before registration. By registering for the Design Challenge, you agree to the terms of the consent form.
- Register between Monday February 6th and Tuesday March 7th by 8:00 p.m. at: http://peoyork2017nemdesign.eventbrite.com